Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Growing a Vegetable Garden

 
   I have been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and was inspired to start my own journey to growing my own vegetables and fruits. Any food fanatic would enjoy this narrative of a family leaving the suburbs for a country lifestyle. This book offers historical details on vegetables, the farming industry, and the movement towards organic living. In addition Kingsolver's husband, Steven Hopp provides essays revealing insightful reflections on each chapter's topic. With only half the book left to read I decided to begin growing my own food.

I went to the local Home Depot and to my luck they were having a sale on their vegetables and fruits. Each plant I bought was between $3-$5.

  • Jalapenos



  • Strawberry



  • Cucumber

  • Okra


  • Zucchini (which i s already starting to flower)

  • Habanero Chili (which is already starting to bear)

I bought Miracle Grow's potting soil for vegetables and added that to our garden soil. Most of these plants need direct sunlight so I chose a location where there were no other trees or shrubs providing shade. In addition I left enough distance between each plant to leave them room to grow. During the upcoming weeks I will document their growth and hopefully be able to harvest the vegetables and fruits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment